Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Nov 15: White People Day and Uncle Mike

Sam's email from Nov. 15:



"Dear Family,
This week was pretty awesome.

One of the things that made the week so awesome is that we went to the Temple. The Temple is like the best place to be on mission. When they let us go to the temple is seriously feels like i am back at home again. Every time i go I learn something new that i never expected. After my mission is over i am going to go to the temple all the time.

Also i got to see a ton of white people this week. First a got to see my uncle mike! i got a call from him on Tuesday and he said he was going to try and come out and see me. I was very happy to talk to him and i waited the whole day to see him, and no uncle mike. Then uncle mike called me again the next day telling me again that he would be coming out to see me. I said okay , but was thinking it might be too good to be true. To my surprise he called me and said he was at our church. So we went to the church and i got to talk to my uncle mike. He had an old Idaho accent which was something i haven't heard in a long time. He sounded like he was really enjoying being in Ghana. After uncle mike i had the wonderful opportunity to go out to lunch with a young white couple that somehow knew Elder Jones back home. That day was pretty cool. Years from now i will tell my children about that day and i will tell them it was white people day.

We have been teaching a women named sister I for a while now. She has been coming to church the last couple of weeks and she had a Baptismal Date for the 27th of this month. The other day i woke up and I just came into my mind. I started talking to Elder Jones about her and we both came to the conclusion that her baptismal date should be moved up. I don't know why this Idea came into my mind, but the more i thought about it the more i thought it needed to be so. So that day we went and talked to I and told her that we really felt she was ready to baptized. When we first told her she agreed and thought she she also be baptized sooner. So the next day we had one of the zone leaders come out and interview her. I think the interview scared her because when we went back that night she sounded very nervous and told us that she wasn't sure if she was ready. We sat there for a while and we all came to the conclusion that Irene needed to pray. We told her to pray and ask God if it was right. So right there she said a prayer. As she was praying i was praying inside for god to please answer her prayer. The prayer she said was powerful, i could tell from her voice that she really wanted to know. At the end of the prayer we asked her how she felt and she said i will be baptized. We asked her again how she felt again because i really didn't want her to just be baptized to make my companion and I happy. She said she was worried about it, but now she is not. We said okay and finished the lesson up some more and went on our way. As we were walking after the lesson it just hit me that that was the answer to her prayer. Just the small peace that she felt about it. God will always answer our prayers, but we just need to be listening. I think a lot of times we don't recognize the answer that God gives us. Well i dont wanna be too preachy, but to continue with the story I was baptized on saturday and confirmed on sunday and she was very happy about. I don't know why we decided to move her baptism , but i am glad we did.

On Saturday we also had another man named I baptized. I don't know if i have told you about I, but he is a awesome guy. Is is one of the humblest people i have ever met in my life. As we taught him i could just feel that he knew what were telling him was true. the whole time we taught him, he never doubted anything we said. He was also very ready to be baptized and i am so glad i had the chance to be a part of that.

Today was also pretty cool we got up early and went to a place called Makola Market. It was sweet we missed traffic and we were able to get in and out really fast. I bought a couple of ties and some jerseys from the world cup. The jerseys here are way cheep.

As for everything else i am doing great. Transfers are coming up next week, but i am almost positive i will stay. I hope that elder Jones will also stay it would be sweet to be with him on Christmas. Thankyou for all the emails. I love you guys a ton.

Sincerley
Elder Beck"

No comments: